Monday, August 24, 2009

Chocolate from Australia

A very nice person from Twitter and Xbox LIVE sent me a box full of candy from his native Australia. The Tim Tams were breathtaking of course, and I must mention here that they are from New Zealand, not Australia. My favorite treats so far are: Curly Wurly, Chomp, and Flake, all from Cadbury UK.

Curly Wurly: Caramel covered with chocolate, soft and chewy. According to Wikipedia this was sold in the US in the 70s and 80s (my childhood) under the name Marathon Bar. I prefer the CW name because, being afflicted with curly hair I enjoy having something chocolatey and delicious associated with the word "curly".

Flake: Though it cleaves more like flint, this bar is the pumice of chocolate. It's interesting as a novelty, but it's very messy and the taste isn't worth the trouble.

Chomp: This one is my favorite of the three. Imagine a Twix bar (my ultimate favorite candy!) with wafers instead of a cookie. It seems simple enough, but the combination of soft chocolate and caramel when you bite in and then the cool crispness of the wafers is unique and very nom.

If you live in Australia or the UK--lucky you! If not, get an overseas friend to send you some.

1 comment: